Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Video for "Universal References in C++11" Now Available

A couple of days ago, I blogged that my article on "Universal References" had been published by Overload, and I said a video of me presenting this topic at C++ and Beyond would soon be available.  Soon has become now. Servers are standing by, and on-demand viewing is available at Channel 9.  Many thanks to Charles Torre and to Microsoft for recording and hosting the presentation. I hope you like it and find it useful.  If you do, please tell others about it, because I'm trying to inject the term universal reference into the C++ vocabulary, and I can't do it alone.

Scott

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great talk! Thanks for sharing it.

So, what was the verdict on universal references and using (as an alternative to typedef), as discussed towards the end?

Scott Meyers said...

@Anders Sjögren: It seems that reference-collapsing does not occur in "using" typedefs. Section 8.3.2/6 of the standard (which is where reference-collapsing is specified) mentions only typedefs, template parameters, and decltype. auto is in the club, because its specification refers to the spec for template parameters.